Sunday, April 12, 2009

Top 10 Reasons to Come to A-Day. #7: Quarterbacks

I know what you're thinking, because I thought the same thing. "Please! No more quarterback controversy! We've had enough!" But hey, chill out! I fully believe that unlike the last staff, this one will do good on it's promise to name one starting quarterback. Mainly because I think this one has learned from the last one's mistakes. CGC (Coach Gene Chizik for those of you who don't know the language of the football internets) has thus far made every effort to make smart decisions that sit well with the Auburn fanbase. And I will go out on a limb and say that through assembling a coaching staff and the solid job he did on signing day, he's accomplished that. I expect to see his administration do everything in its power to avoid an ugly, extended quarterback race.

So now that we've established that the quarterback situation will meet a happy resolution (if you feel like I do) then here are the facts as they stand today. Auburn has three quarterbacks in serious contention this spring. Kodi Burns, Barrett Trotter, and Neil Caudle. Todd is still recovering from shoulder surgery in December. After today's scrimmage, that number is possibly down to two, although which two is up for debate.

The Bad News: Each of these three quarterbacks has their downfalls. Neil has a discouraging tendency to throw to players wearing the wrong color jersey. Kodi is inconsistent all around throwing, and when faced with a powerhouse defense, which you tend to find a lot in our league, he can crumble*. Barrett; well I guess his biggest problem is that I really haven't seen him enough to say what his problem is**.

The Good News: Each of these three quarterbacks is talented. Scary talented. All of them were highly touted coming out of high school. And all of them have shown moments of genius. All they have to do is iron out these inconsistencies-an minor mental error here, an errant throw there-and you have three incredible football players on your hands. Under the tutelage of the honorable Arthur Gustave Malzahn III, when someone finally distinguishes themselves from the pack, he could have the makings of a really great quarterback.

So come on out to Jordan-Hare in a week, and see one of these talented guys step up to the challenge and take the reigns of this Auburn offense!

*  I won't mention the Iron Bowl. I won't. Promise.

**I know, I know. I'm an embarrassment to the BlAUging community. But hey, you knew what you were in for when you clicked over here. "Totally biased amateurs". Just look over to your right. It says so right there. Get off my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment