Saturday, April 11, 2009

Top 10 Reasons to Come to A-Day. #8: It's Better than a Wedding Shower

I have a certain friend, and I love that friend to death. I really do. He's a great guy, and we've been friends since middle school. I also like his fiancee. She and her family have been friends of my family for as long as I can remember. She's a sweetheart and she makes him happy. But for crying out loud, they grew up in Birmingham. BIRMINGHAM! She is an Auburn graduate. He will soon be graduating from that other school (but we always keep that in our prayers). You would think they know the rules of decent society in our lovely state of Alabama.

So you can imagine my surprise when, a couple of weeks ago, I get an invitation to a wedding shower on SATURDAY, APRIL FREAKING 18TH!! Of course, my initial reaction was, "Ha! Trash can." But upon further consideration, it occurred to me that my mother would be intensely disappointed that I missed this shower. She made it abundantly clear to me that I had the choice to skip it if I wanted to, but she would be very disappointed......

How is that a choice? I don't know any man that can say no to his mother when presented with that option, and frankly, I wouldn't want to meet that man.  It was obvious that I was going to have to miss the most important A-Day game in years to go to a wedding shower.

But Hark! How the sweet relief of epiphany doth descend upon my brow! Mine eyes hath gazed upon the print of the invitation, and their quest for a loophole doth come to fruition! For the shower starts at 7:00 giving me ample time to see the game and run back to Birmingham.

So come on out to Jordan-Hare next Saturday, because it's darn sure better than going to a wedding shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment