Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Trademark-Infringing Tune Tuesdays VOL VI: Satellite of Love

Because this is the off season and there's nothing better to do, because there are approximately 2,357,861 days until football season (that's just a guesstimate, give or take a few), and because it's Tuesday and you need a pick-me-up, I'm presenting "Trademark-Infringing Tune Tuesdays". Trademark-Infringing Tune Tuesdays is an off-topic post that will feature a band playing a song by a different band each week. Some you may have heard and, hopefully, some will be completely new to you.

If you haven't seen the movie Adventureland, I would highly recommend it. Solid acting, cool story, very witty, and they have some hilarious music-based comedy (which I obviously enjoy) including a the world's worst house band and a great running gag involving "Rock me Amadeus".

Included on the extremely well put together soundtrack, which is one of the movie's strongest points much like Dazed and Confused, is a song that I had not yet heard until seeing the movie, Lou Reed's Satellite of Love (Shed a Light on Love?). Although I'm generally speaking, I'm not much of a Lou Reed fan, Satellite of Love is a great song and really shines at that point in the movie.

For those of you who, like me, aren't typically into the more depressed sounds of Lou Reed and Velvet Underground, a more joyful version of Satellite of Love performed by a usually happier U2 is a great way to test the waters and see if it's for you.


If you enjoyed that, check out some of the other songs on the Adventureland soundtrack or, better yet, go buy the movie.

Tune in next week when Trademark-Infringing Tune Tuesdays will feature........ another band playing a song by a different band!

No comments:

Post a Comment